The best way to see this city is by bicycle! In this Tel Aviv bike guide, you will learn how to rent a bike in Tel Aviv, including different bike routes and tours to take!
Shalom! My name is Trisha, and I lived in Tel Aviv for over a year. At first, I wasn’t sure if I would live here permanently, so I decided to rent a bike for a month. After that, I had to buy my own bicycle as this was the main mode of transport in Tel Aviv. Everyone rides a bicycle in this city!
Biking is the best way to explore Tel Aviv, a city designed with cyclists as a pirority. Its flat terrain and extensive bike lanes make navigating the city easily.
You can easily access the city’s diverse neighborhoods, bustling markets, and iconic landmarks with a bicycle. Biking also lets you avoid traffic and find parking easily, offering a convenient, eco-friendly alternative to driving.
In this Tel Aviv bike rental guide, I laid out a step-by-step guide on how to use Tel-o-Fun including renting a bicycle in a bike shop. There are also 3 different biking routes (with maps) so browse away and let me know if you have any questions!
Change how you travel and see the world by going deep into the culture. Come and travel with me!
🙋 Is it safe to rent a bike in Tel Aviv?
Tel Aviv is notably bike-friendly, making it safe for riders of all levels. Its well-developed network of bike lanes and paths provides a secure environment for cyclists.
The city has invested significantly in biking infrastructure, including the Tel-O-Fun bike-sharing program, which offers easy access to bikes across the city.
Biking is popular in Tel Aviv, so motorists are generally aware and respectful of cyclists. Of course, as in any city, it’s important to stay alert, follow traffic rules. With these precautions (and awareness), you can comfortably and safely explore Tel Aviv by bike.
✅ Tel Aviv bike rental requirements
Consider your needs before you start searching for bike rental services. Are you planning a leisurely ride along the coast, or do you require a mountain bike for rougher terrain?
Do you need accessories like a helmet or a child seat? These factors will help you identify the best rental service for your needs.
Below is the list of requirements for Tel Aviv bike rental:
- Identification: You’ll need a form of identification such as a passport or a driver’s license.
- Credit Card: A credit card is required to pay for the rental and for the security deposit. Some places may also accept debit cards. Please note that for Tel-O-Fun, the city’s bike-sharing service, the card must have a chip.
- Minimum Age: Most rental services require riders to be at least 18 years old. If you’re younger, you may need an adult to rent the bike for you.
- Acceptance of Rental Agreement: You’ll have to agree to the rental service’s terms and conditions, which typically include your responsibility for any damage to the bike and sometimes include your liability for any injury you might suffer while using the bike.
- Helmet: For safety reasons, using a helmet while cycling is strongly recommended. Some rental services might provide helmets, or you can bring your own.
- Lock: If you plan to park the bike in public places, a lock is necessary to prevent theft. Most rental services should provide one.
- Phone Number: Some rental services may require a local or international phone number to contact you if necessary.
🚴♀️ Tel-o-Fun: top Tel Aviv bike rental
Tel-O-Fun is Tel Aviv’s official bike-sharing program and offers hundreds of bikes at docking stations spread out across the city.
You can rent a bike from one station and return it to another, making it a very convenient option for residents and visitors looking to travel around the city.
You’ll need a credit card to rent a bike. You can choose from several rental periods, including daily, weekly, or annual subscriptions. Once you’ve paid, you receive a code to unlock a bike from the docking station.
The bikes are green, robust city bikes, equipped with a basket and lights. Tel-O-Fun operates 24/7 and all year round, making it a versatile and environmentally friendly transportation option in the city.
How to rent a bike in Tel Aviv using Tel-o-Fun
- Find a Tel-O-Fun station: Tel Aviv’s city bike share program, Tel-O-Fun, has rental stations spread out across the city. Locate the nearest one to you.
- Payment: There will be an automated payment terminal at the Tel-O-Fun station. You can rent a bike for a day, a week, or longer. You’ll need a credit card with a chip to complete the transaction.
- Select your bike: Once your payment is approved, you’ll receive a code that can be used to unlock a bike. Choose your bike from the docking station.
- Return the bike: When you’re finished with the bike, return it to any Tel-O-Fun station. Ensure the bike is correctly docked, or you might continue to be charged.
Tel-o-fun bike rental prices
- Daily Subscription: 17 ILS ($5 USD)
- Weekly Subscription: 30 ILS ($8 USD)
- Annual Subscription: 240 ILS ($65 USD)
🚲 Tel Aviv bike rental shops
If you are not confident using Tel-o-fun or a machine to rent a Tel Aviv bike, you can go to a rental shop to talk to someone and understand rental plans better.
- Choose a rental shop: Some popular ones include O-Fun, Bike IL, and Pro Bike.
- Choose a bike: Visit the shop, and the staff will help you select a bike suitable for your needs and preferences. Most shops offer various options, including city, mountain, or electric bikes.
- Payment and paperwork: Provide your identification and credit card details, and pay for the rental. The duration can usually be as short as an hour or as long as a few days.
- Accessories and safety equipment: Most shops will provide you with a lock and helmet; some may offer other accessories like lights or a basket.
- Return the bike: Ensure you understand the shop’s opening hours, as you’ll need to return the bike within these hours. Be sure to lock up the bike securely if you stop somewhere, as you may be liable if the bike gets stolen.
🚴♀️ Tip: If you are renting a Tel Aviv bike in a shop, you can ask for a foldable electronic bike. You can bring the bike when riding trains and buses!
🚥 Suggested Tel Aviv bike routes
The first bike route suggestion covers the highlights of Tel Aviv. This route includes famous landmarks such as Rothschild Boulevard, Rabin Square, and the Carmel Market.
The second route is for Jaffa and Florentin areas, the two most popular neighborhoods in Tel Aviv. These neighborhoods are small, so you will always see restaurants, bars, and cafes for a stopover.
The map below does not include where to stop. It is simply an efficient route on how to cover both areas.
The third suggested route covers all Tel Aviv beaches. It’s pretty straightforward but I created a map for you to know what beaches to stop in. There really aren’t any signs to know the beaches names so use the map below!
Tip: All beaches in Tel Aviv have a place for parking a bike.
🚳 Safety tips for Tel Aviv bike rental
Use bike lanes
Tel Aviv has an extensive network of bike lanes. Make sure to use them whenever possible to stay safe and respect traffic rules.
Follow traffic rules
Just like cars, bikes are required to obey traffic signals and road signs. This includes stopping at red lights and giving right-of-way when required.
Use lights and reflectors
If you’re cycling in low-light conditions or at night, make sure your bike is equipped with lights and reflectors to make it visible to other road users.
Stay alert and don’t bike drunk
Always be aware of your surroundings, particularly when cycling near cars and pedestrians. Keep an eye out for obstacles in the bike lane, and always signal your intentions to others.
Use a bike lock
Bike theft can be a problem in cities, and Tel Aviv is no exception. Always lock your bike securely when leaving it unattended.
Maintain Your Bike
Make sure your bike is in good condition. Check the brakes and tires before you start your ride. Regularly checking bike conditions will also help in avoiding fines when returning the bike.
🗺️ Best Tel Aviv bike tours
Best of Jaffa: Guided Tel Aviv Bike Tour
🕒 3 hours
💲 from $62 USD (2 pax)
Biking around Jaffa in Tel Aviv is an incredible experience. The ancient port city of Jaffa, now part of Tel Aviv, offers a rich tapestry of history and culture. On this Tel Aviv bike tour, you’ll encounter a mix of beautifully restored buildings, art galleries, and atmospheric cafes.
This Tel Aviv bike tour highlights include the bustling Jaffa Flea Market, the historic Jaffa Port, and the beautiful vistas from the hilltop at Abrasha Park.
Tel Aviv bike tour: city highlights
🕒 3 hours
💲 from $55 USD (2 pax)
In this Tel Aviv bike tour (city highlights), you’ll encounter bustling markets like Carmel, high-tech hubs, and iconic Bauhaus architecture. The Rothschild Boulevard, a major city artery with a dedicated bike path, offers a leisurely ride lined with cafes, shops, and local life.
Nearby, the serene paths of Yitzhak Rabin Park provide a green escape. Biking in central Tel Aviv combines urban exploration with the relaxed, beach-town atmosphere that characterizes the city.
Morning Tel Aviv bike tour
🕒 3 hours
💲 from $300 USD per group
Biking in Tel Aviv early in the morning is a beautiful way to start the day. The city wakes up slowly, with the soft light of dawn illuminating the Bauhaus architecture and beachfront promenade.
Early morning is the perfect time to enjoy a peaceful ride along the city’s extensive network of bike lanes, devoid of the usual daytime hustle. The beachside bike paths are usually empty (or just with commuters, but without tourists).