Are you a solo traveler searching where to stay in Taipei? Here are my recommendations on the cool and safest areas for solo travelers and digital nomads of all ages!
📬 Hey Trisha! I saw you were in Taipei a lot and was wondering if you can recommend where to stay in Taipei? I am traveling with my family from San Francisco and I want to see all our options. You have a lot of blog posts and I am in the process of reading them all. You write amazingly! Thank you for creating good content and I hope you can help me.-Elayne Sun, USA
Thanks for writing! When I am deciding where to stay in Taipei, I always consider the neighborhoods. My favorite area is Ximending although I can say that most neighborhoods in Taiwan have access to the train station.
In Taipei Main Station, there are a lot of cheap hostels you can choose from in very decent settings.
Below are my recommendations on where to stay in Taipei. I hope you’ll find something that will fit you best!
1. Ximending: where to stay in Taipei for solo travelers
Ximending, often referred to as the “Harajuku of Taipei,” is a vibrant, bustling hub that perfectly embodies the spirit of modern Taiwanese culture, making it an exciting choice for where to stay in Taipei for solo travelers.
This lively district is famed for its youthful energy, colorful streets, and a plethora of dining, shopping, and entertainment options that cater to a wide range of interests and tastes.
Solo travelers, in particular, will find Ximending to be a welcoming and dynamic area, filled with opportunities to meet people, experience local pop culture, and enjoy the independence of solo travel in a safe and engaging environment.
Things to do in Ximending for solo travelers
- Visit and dine at the Modern Toilet Restaurant
- Check out Tatoo Street (Hanzhong Street)
- Experience the Ximen Red House LGBTQ+ Night Market
- Try the Street Food at American Street
- Join a Street Fashion Photoshoot
2. Xinyi: where to stay in Taipei for nightlife
For solo travelers exploring Taipei, Xinyi District stands out as the premier destination, particularly for those drawn to vibrant nightlife and social atmospheres.
This area is often highlighted in discussions about where to stay in Taipei for solo travelers, thanks to its unbeatable combination of upscale clubs, chic bars, and an array of dining options that cater to all tastes and budgets.
Best apartment in Xinyi
This 4-bedroom apartment in Xinyi is the only one I can recommend at $157 per night. They can give discounted rates for monthly stays for digital nomads.
Things to do in Xinyi, Taipei for solo travelers
- Attend an outdoor concert at Taipei 101 Plaza.
- Explore the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park.
- Hike the Elephant Mountain Hiking Trail.
- Visit the Taipei City Hall for its architectural design and public events.
- Join a workshop at the Eslite Spectrum Songyan Store.
- Discover contemporary art at the Taipei Fine Arts Museum.
- Take a cultural tour of the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall.
3. Da’an: where to stay in Taipei for digital nomads
Da’an District, with its blend of urban convenience and cultural depth, emerges as the top choice for digital nomads and solo travelers searching where to stay in Taipei.
This area’s appeal lies in its unique combination of accessibility, a vibrant cafe culture, and a myriad of coworking spaces, making it not just a place to stay but a hub for creativity and productivity.
Da’an’s central location ensures that digital nomads can effortlessly explore Taipei, with excellent public transportation links that connect them to the rest of the city.
Things to do in Da’an Taipei
- Participate in a Taiwanese tea-tasting experience at a traditional teahouse in Yongkang Street.
- Explore the vibrant Dongmen Market for local foods and unique souvenirs.
- Attend a live jazz performance at Sappho Live, a cozy underground bar.
- Visit the Da’an Forest Park for a peaceful morning of bird watching.
- Experience a traditional Chinese medicine consultation at one of Da’an’s reputable clinics.
- Participate in a workshop at the Taiwan Contemporary Culture Lab, focusing on digital art and media.
4. Taipei Main Station: where to stay in Taipei for first-timers
Taipei Main Station area is an unparalleled choice for first-time travelers to Taipei, especially for single and solo travelers looking on where to stay in Taipei.
For solo travelers, the convenience of being near Taipei Main Station cannot be overstated. It simplifies travel plans, whether you’re looking to venture into the city’s outskirts or planning day trips to other parts of Taiwan.
The area is bustling with activity, offering a safe and vibrant environment at all hours, which is particularly comforting for those traveling alone.
Things to do near Taipei main station
- Visit the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall and watch the changing of the guard ceremony.
- Explore the National Museum of History for Taiwanese art and artifacts.
- Take a guided tour of the Presidential Office Building.
- Experience local food and crafts at the Nanmen Market.
- Explore the underground shopping streets at Taipei Main Station.
- Enjoy the night view from the top of the Taipei City Wall.
5. Zhongzheng: where to stay in Taipei for solo senior travelers (50+)
I have many friends and clients who are 50+ solo travelers and I always recommend Zhongzheng to them!
Zhongzheng District is a gem in Taipei that offers an ideal blend of tranquility, culture, and convenience, making it the perfect place for where to stay in Taipei for solo travelers, especially those who are seniors aged 50 and above.
This district strikes a fine balance between the peaceful retreat needed by those seeking a more laid-back visit and the accessibility to Taipei’s vibrant city life, without the overwhelming hustle and bustle found in other areas.
Things to do in Zhongzheng
- Explore the alleys of Yongkang Street and try local delicacies.
- Visit the Da’an Forest Park for a morning jog or leisurely stroll.
- Attend a tea ceremony at a traditional Taiwanese tea house.
- Browse through the indie bookstores and art galleries in the area.
- Explore the Taipei Grand Mosque, the largest mosque in Taiwan.
- Enjoy a picnic at the Dongmen Community Sports Park.
- Visit the Jianguo Holiday Flower Market on weekends.
6. Datong: where to stay in Taipei for foodies
Datong District, with its rich historical tapestry and culinary diversity, emerges as an exceptional choice for where to stay in Taipei for solo travelers, especially those with a keen interest in food.
This neighborhood, one of the oldest in Taipei, offers an authentic taste of the city’s culinary heritage, making it a haven for foodies who wish to explore traditional Taiwanese flavors and contemporary cuisine.
Solo travelers will find Datong not only welcoming but also brimming with gastronomic adventures!
Best budget hostel in Datong: We Come Hostel
We Come Hostel is one of the best budget accommodations in Datong, Taipei. They always have activities within the hostel which will enable you to meet other solo travelers!
Best boutique hotel in Datong: Tomato TTT
This boutique hotel in Datong is about 4 minutes walk to the Ningxia Night Market and 2 minutes to the train station. You can get private rooms for $85 per night.
Things to do in Datong
- Go to Dihua Street for its well-preserved Qing dynasty and Japanese colonial-era buildings
- Sample a wide array of Taiwanese street foods in a less crowded Ningxia Night Market
- Visit the Taipei Confucius Temple
- Visit Bao’an Temple
- Go to the Yongle Fabric Market, housed in a historic building
FAQ: Where to stay in Taipei
MORE TAIPEI TRAVEL GUIDES