student visa in spain for filipinos

Student visa in Spain for Philippine passport holders

[us_message color=”yellow”]This post was last updated on February 28, 2019.[/us_message]

For years, Spain has been a student hub for many people who wants to improve their Spanish and also to see the beauty of Europe. Barcelona is one of the most beautiful cities I lived in and I can say that it is really a cozy city for students and young professionals. As many of my fellow Filipinos are dreaming to study in Spain, today, I will give you an extensive information about obtaining a student visa in Spain for Filipinos.

A student visa in Spain allows you to study, reside, work or do research in the country for periods exceeding 90 days.

Step 1: Schedule an appointment

There are two ways on how to schedule your appointment. The first one is by phone: (02) 7894904 where you have to give the following details:

  1. Complete name as shown in your passport
  2. Passport number
  3. Contact numbers
  4. Preferred date and time of appointment

The second (and the easiest) is through BLS International Visa Services Philippines Inc. All you have to do is to click schedule an appoinment and fill the following information:

Please make sure to double check the information you provided before clicking the submit button. Appointments can be canceled/modified online. If you are to cancel your appointment, do it three days before the schedule assigned to you.

Step 2: Complete your requirements

While waiting for your appointment, make sure to complete the documents required. Put everything in a large brown envelope. Write your surname and contact number on the upper left corner of the envelope. Please write in print/bold. Here are the documents you need to complete before coming to your appointment:

  1. Valid passport with the minimum validity of the duration of the stay.
  2. Completed visa application form.
  3. Two (2) passport size photos. You can have your photo taken in the consulate if you’re not sure about the size.
  4. 1 photocopy of the data page of the valid passport and all previous visas and stamps.
  5. Previous passports (if applicable)
  6. Proof of enrollment at a public or private university, school or center and the details of the course (plan de estudios) to be taken. You can also include your acceptance letter from the school.
  7. Proof of economic means: Bank Certificate, Bank Books, ITR, International, Credit Cards. For minors: Affidavit of support from parents or sponsor, proof of their economic means, ITR, bank certifications, etc. Birth certificate of the minor (NSO)
  8. Medical insurance provided by an authorized insurance company in Spain.

If you are asking for a visa for more than 6 months, the following additional requirements must be submitted:

  1. Medical Certificate (done at any DOH accredited hospital or clinic) indicating the non‐existence of diseases that may have a serious effect on public health, according to International Sanitary Regulations of 2005 (authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs) (validity 3 months from date of issuance).
  2. NBI Clearance (National Bureau of Investigation) authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs (validity is 3 months from date of issuance).


  • ACE Insurance Philippines
  • Chartis Philippines Insurance, Inc.
  • Assist-Card
  • Blue Cross
  • BPI – MS Insurance Corporation
  • Fortune General Ins. Corp
  • MAA Insurance
  • Malayan Insurance Company, Inc.
  • MAPFRE Insular Insurance Corporation
  • Paramount Life and General Insurance Co
  • PNB General Insurers Co., Inc.
  • Standard Insurance Co.
  • UCPB General Insurance Co. Inc.
  • WorldWide Travel Insurance Plans
  • Everest International Group Administrators Inc.
  • Federal Phoenix Assurance Co., Inc.
  • Philippine British Assurance Co., Inc.
  • Starr International Insurance Philippines
  • Oriental Assurance Corporation
  • PhilsFirst Insurance


  • It is necessary to include 2 photocopies of the application form.
  • You should also have 1 photocopy of the rest of the documents.
  • All documents presented must be translated by a recognized Spanish translator (traductor jurado) accredited by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Other documents indicated may be required depending on your case. If there are additional requirements, they will discuss it with you via e-mail or during your first interview.

Step 3: Have your documents authenticated in the Department of Foreign Affairs

Red Ribbon is mainly for marking your documents authentic and genuine. I was not required to go to the main office in DFA Aseana but any DFA satellite offices will do.

  • Download the DFA authentication application form here. You may fill this out via PDF. If you are going to fill it out by hand, make sure to write diligently.
  • You can request for the authentication to be valid for five (5) years. The Spanish Embassy in Manila requires authenticated document for at least one (1) year.
  • All applications should be made in person by the applicant except under certain circumstances. If so, write an authorization letter and provide your passport copy.
  • All unclaimed DFA Authentication Certificates will be disposed of three (3) months from the scheduled date of release.
  • Processed documents subject for verification will only be authenticated upon validation of the authenticity of the document.
  • Processed documents that are not in order or pending documents will only be authenticated upon compliance of the Authentication requirements.

Step 4: Have your documents translated in Spanish (by a certified translator)

Unfortunately, there are no certified translators in the Philippines. You will have to ask a friend/family member to do it for you in Spain. When I applied, the Consulate General in Manila gave me a list of certified translators in Spain. I contacted the translator myself and arranged the shipping of the documents.

As of 28 February 2019, that list is no longer available in the Spanish Embassy in Manila. However, I found a company called Orange Translations but have not confirmed if they are certified by the Spanish Embassy. I also did not try their services but you can get in touch with them!

Step 5: Verify your documents at the Consulate

Once you’ve completed the documents needed, you need to go to the Consulate of Spain in Manila to have the documents verified. If your documents are complete (according to what they ask), you can move on to the next step.

The Embassy of Spain in Manila accepts legalization of documents through BLS International Visa Services Phlippines, Inc.

Below are the Filipino documents that require legalization by the Consulate General of Spain in Manila:

1. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate

  • literal birth/marriage/death certificate, not extract in security paper issued by the main office of PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority)
  • authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)
  • authentication of DFA should not be more than one year

2. NBI Clearance, Affidavits, powers of attorney, medical certificates, and other documents to be used in Spain

  • authenticated by DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs)
  • authentication of DFA should not be more than one year
  • medical certificates and NBI clearance must be issued not more than 3 months ago upon the submission for legalization at the Consulate General of Spain.

3. Academic records such as diplomas

  • for primary, secondary, high-school academic records and diploma: validated and verified by the Department of Education (Regional and National chapters)
  • for college, university records and diploma: validated and verified by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
  • authenticated by DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs)
  • authentication of DFA should not be more than one year

4. Philippine Passport (certified true copy)

  • the original passport to be authenticated
  • photocopy of all pages (should be clear and legible)

Step 6: Go to the interview

Bring the large brown envelope with all your documents. Although it is definitely okay to bring extra documents which you think will help, do not put too much time and effort into it. The Consul will always have the final say whether you need extra/supporting documents. They will give you more time if needed. During your interview, be honest about your intentions in studying in Spain and don’t panic! Answer only when it is necessary aka don’t say anything irrelevant to the interview. Treat it like a normal conversation with another person.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Applications can be made three (3) to six (6) months before the planned entry.

You can process your student visa application in the Spain Consulate: 5th Floor, Act Tower, 135 Senator Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati, Philippines.

Yes. However, there is an official list of Universities/school that is accredited for student visas. I would say just pick any school you want and don’t adjust to their needs. This is your trip so it should be tailored to fit your needs and expectations.

I did not go to a school accredited by the Spanish Embassy in Manila but I still got a visa.

Yes. For the student visa, you have to purchase your travel insurance from a trusted company in Spain. You will have to ask the consul about this.

You should have at least a budget of 12 euros per day if you are applying for a student visa. For example, if you are staying for 90 days, you should have 1,080 euros in your bank account. It’s good to have extra just in case.

It is not necessary to appear in the consulate while processing your requirements. However, you will be asked for a personal appearance during your interview. I don’t really recommend hiring a visa consultant because having the experience first hand will be a learning process for you. It’s better if you do it by yourself, most especially if you are not a minor.

Yes. You can file the appeal as soon as you know that your application was rejected.

Yes. Having a student visa in Spain entitles you to travel to all EU-member countries.

Yes. Your student visa in Spain also entitles you to work part-time while studying. Meaning, you can only take 4 hours of work per day. If you find a job that requires more than those hours, you will have to apply for a work visa (in the Philippines).

In the event that you want to pursue further studies, you can extend your student visa while you are in Spain. They will give you another 90 days extension if approved.

[us_single_image image=”21921″]

How is your experience in applying for a student visa in Spain for Filipinos?

Was it hard? Did you get approved? How was your stay in Spain? Leave your tips in the comment box below and help other Filipinos make it!

[us_separator type=”default” style=”dashed”][us_iconbox icon=”fas|pinterest” iconpos=”left” title=”Applying for a student visa in Spain?”]Hover the image on the left and pin it![/us_iconbox]

Trisha is one of those people who left their comfortable life to travel the world and learn about life. Her style is to stay in one place she likes for 3 months (or more) to know what it feels like to eat, cook, speak, and sleep in another culture that isn’t hers. She'd like to believe she's not traditionally traveling but she just chooses to be somewhere else all the time. In no particular order, her favorite cities in the world are Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Mexico City, and Tel Aviv.


  • October 9, 2015

    I love that you’ve made this info so easily available and easy to digest.

    Whilst I don’t have the need to find the info out for myself, I know how hard it can be sometimes when you’re trying to not just find the information, but the process that someone knows from beginning to end.

  • October 16, 2015

    Great information. I wonder if this apply to other nationality as well.

  • December 21, 2015

    this is a BIG help for filipino’s , I am also planning to study and work at spain but the problem is i only know few basic words and phrases in spanish. but on january 2016 im planning to take a spanish language at TESDA. it is free!!! my question is, is it risky if i only know some basic phrases and words and cannot speak straight spanish? im talking about applying for a visa. do they speak english?

  • Esram
    December 23, 2015

    Hello, this really helpful! I’m planning to study in BCN, like you it’s one of my fave cities in the world! i’ve been there twice.

    I badly need your advice…

    Applying for tourist visa has been very easy for me because i can always present papers from work, not to brag, i have really good work here in PH. But i’ve been wanting to go out of my comfort zone & to be honest im having an LDR relationship with a Catalan for 2 years now and we’ve been wanting to “try” a really proper relationship (without getting married just to get visa) & i prefer me going there. i love PH but life here has been tiring & boring with dirt, crime, i need some changes, i know u completely understand it as u also chose to go out abroad.

    Choosing to study to BcN i have to give up my good work here in PH, i have some savings but I’m afraid that i get rejected of visa without work papers.

    Can my BF sponsor my studies & he’ would be the one sending papers?

    What are the type of part-time jobs i can get as student?

    I know very basic Spanish, is it required?

    Will there always be interview for student visa? For tourist never had interview.

    Can i apply for actual job while studying, and if company hired me i. Can apply for work visa right? But i know probability of this is very low but its the goal? What do u think?

    What are possible jobs to apply im a proj manager here in PH?

    Would appreciate any help!

    Thanks a lot!

  • Donna
    March 6, 2016

    Hi dear,

    Thanks for all the info. I plan to study in Tarragona.

    God bless you!


  • Ella
    June 13, 2016

    I believe this post refers to the student visa for more than 90 days right?

  • Amma
    July 23, 2016

    hi, thanks for posting this… very useful. I wanna ask if I am eligible to have an au pair visa at least 1 year of staying in spain.. I have a host family now were having a communication how to proceed to next step. i hope you could help me what are the papers needed.


    all the best!

    • Joemarie
      April 2, 2018

      Hi Amma,

      May I know how and where did you find your host in spain?

      Can you help to find one?

    • August 23, 2018

      hai Maam Ann 🙂 I read your message i just wanna know if did you applied an Au Pair Visa in Spain because I am planning too 🙁 I hope you will reply me. Thank you soo mucH. God bless you.

      Gina Mae

  • Toni
    February 23, 2017

    Hi Trisha! I am also planning to study in Spain. If I may ask, where did you get your medical certificate indicating ‘the non-existence of diseases that may have a serious effect on public health, according to International Sanitary Regulations of 2005’?

  • Alvie Bautista
    September 27, 2017

    Hi Trisha! Do you still have the list of accredited translators in Spain?

  • November 30, 2017

    Hi there, I’m a Philippines passport holder but I am currently touring in South America. Is there a way to apply for a student visa to Spain from outside the Philippines?

  • Evelyn Mamaril Duatin
    January 22, 2018

    Yes I am in Spain now wotking. You just go to the Spanish embassy located in the country where you are. They will give you all the requirements needed to produce.

  • Ann
    April 13, 2018

    Hi, may I know your updated list of Spanish translator accredited by Consulate of Spain here in Manila?? Thank you so much

  • J.Alico
    July 24, 2018

    Does anyone know which comes first in the process: the sworn translation or the DFA authentication? I had my medical certificate translated first before being authenticated, as I was told that the “red ribbon” does not have to be translated. However, when I received my med.cert. from the agency, there is a stamp at the back page and I am somehow worried that this page must also be translated. I am applying for a non-lucrative residence visa by the way. Your answer will be greatly appreciated!

  • J.Alico
    July 24, 2018

    Not sure if my comment earlier this morning was succesfully posted. I´d like to ask, since in your blog you listed that translation comes first before the authentication at DFA, would it be alright that a new stamp (that of DOH) appears on the medical certificate (at the back page) and is not included in the sworn translation? Thanks! Sana may magreply agad.

  • Jane
    January 16, 2019

    This is a great post! Thank you for this. About the Step 3, may I know what office in Consulate of Spain do I need to verify my documents, I mean do I need to book for an appointment for that for long term student visa application? Is that different from legalization of documents? Thank you!!!

  • Norman ortiz
    February 3, 2019

    Hellow good day currently I’m here in saudi arabia as ofw but i want to go in spain after my contract here to study in spanish language spain embassy was allowing me to go ij spain to study

  • lisette cavan
    April 29, 2019

    Is there a clinic in cebu city accredited by the doh for my medical certificate? Thanks

  • Anj
    August 9, 2019

    Hi. Do you know which documents has to be translated? I contacted the embassy and the fee for the translation starts from 3k per page. It’s pricey! Do you have any suggestions in regards to this?

  • catherine ouano
    December 9, 2019

    Hi Trish,

    Thanks for the information.
    Translation of documents to spanish – does that include the NBI, academic records, birth certificate?



Post a Comment

Currently under construction but I’ll be back soon!

Follow me on