7 Reasons Why You Can’t Be A Voluntour
|Bartender in Paracas, Peru|
What is a Voluntour?
|Assistant cook in Cusco, Peru|
I received several e-mails inquiring how I obtained my volunteer jobs. Is it easy? Do you think I can do it too? Depending on the person, I guess my replies are different. With my sister, I tried to be honest. We are two different people and I know by heart that she can’t bear the hardships of this lifestyle. However, she’s good at things I am not good at.
1. You don’t know the difference between a dollar and two.
2. You’re not fit for any living conditions.
3. You don’t put efforts in learning the language.
4. You cannot adjust to working hours.
5. You’re picky with friends.
6. You think you can only do one job.
7. You’re in a rush.
|Receptionist in Quito, Ecuador|
I am currently volunteering at a vegetarian restaurant in Cusco, Peru and I’m loving it! In a week, I will do my Machu Picchu trek and in two weeks, I will be a receptionist (again) in Sucre, Bolivia! After that, I will be crossing the border to Brasil and I don’t have a volunteering offer in Rio de Janeiro (where I intend to spend the dream event of my life: WORLD CUP!) yet. 🙁